1 package (3.5 ounces) pepperoni slices, diced
1 can (3.25 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
5 fresh mushrooms (optional)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley (optional)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 packages (11 ounces each) refrigerated French bread dough
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, warmed (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Food process pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and parsley (or diced it all up). In a bowl, combine pepperoni, olives, parsley, mozzarella cheese, flour and garlic; mix well.
2. Place bread dough, seam sides up, on smooth side of a cutting board. Using a knife, slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open flat. Lightly sprinkle additional flour evenly over dough. Using a baker's roller, roll dough crosswise to a 4-inch width, creating a well down center of each loaf.
3. Spoon half of the pepperoni mixture down center of each loaf. Gather up edges over filling, pinching firmly to seal. Place loaves, seam sides down, in an "X" pattern on a rectangle stone. Crisscross ends of dough to form a large figure "8," keeping ends of dough 1 inch from edge of stone and leaving two 1 1/2-inch openings in center of twist.
4. Separate egg over small bowl. (Discard yolk or set aside for another use.) Beat egg white and seasoning mix; lightly brush over dough. Using serrated bread knife, cut a 3-inch slit in each of the top sections of the twist to reveal filling.
5. Grate Parmesan cheese over loaf. Bake 30-32 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove to cooling rack; cool 10 minutes. Cut into 16 slices. Serve with warm pizza sauce, if desired.
For Pizza Sauce
28 oz. can tomatoes
You can blend sauce in a blender to make it smooth. Heat up and flavor with garlic salt and olive oil to taste.