Lemon Meringue (for Gma McK)

(photo credit https://www.crisco.com/recipes/lemon-meringue-pie-1152)

When my sweet grandma was in the hospital. She asked me to eat a slice of her favorite pie for her since she couldn't. Well, her favorite pie happened to be my favorite pie as well - so in the spirit of good will I ate two pieces. Every last calorie is worth it for that scrumptiousness, and for being hospital cafeteria food it wasn't too bad (I did eat two pieces). I made this last night for my family and today in memory of Grandma McK I had an extra slice. I like this recipe because it is easy & quick. I'm a last minute girl and I like things quick but taste like they took all day.


Original Recipe By:Emilie S.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 lemons, juiced and zested

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked

  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tablespoons white sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450', bake crust according to package directions and let cool.

Reset oven temp for 350' for the meringue

  1. Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together dry ingredients: 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in wet ingredients: water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. 

  2. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into cooled baked pastry shell.

  3. Meringue: In a large very clean glass bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. 

  4. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  5. Bake at 350' in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown, Let cool at room temperature for an hour before refrigerating.

Comments